Every now and then people show me an article and I take a quick glance at it and that will be it. Even rarer moments, will I actually sit there and read the whole thing. Today was much of the latter than the former.

 

The article came from the IIHF website, written by Joeri Loonen, that can be found here

 

It's about newly acquired Flyer, Jaromir Jagr. Jagr, who hails from Kladno in the Czech Republic. Who recently saw that the team he once played for, Kladno HC, was floundering. Their main sponsor had pulled out, leaving the team barely floating above water and were possibly looking at relocating if nobody had stepped in.

 

What he did was what any hometown hero would do; he stepped in and bought 70% in the team, with the city of Kladno owning the other 30%.

 

But the ties don't end there. Jagr's father served as team president for several years.

 

Kladno HC has also had it's fair share of players currently playing in the NHL. Tomas Vokoun, Patrik Elias, Tomas Plekanec, Tomas Kaberle, and another newly acquired Flyer, Jakub Voracek, all suited up for Kladno.

 

Under Jagr's ownership, the team would be renamed the Knights of Kladno. When asked in the Joeri Loonen article about the name he says this:

 “A knight is honest, brave, never gives up and respects others and always plays fair. Ideally we would have asked the fans to come up with a new name but we really lacked time. I think that 'Knights' is just perfect and suits our team and style. Hopefully the people will enjoy our games and go home satisfied.”

 

Jagr also isn't the only team owner present in the Flyers locker room. Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell both own stakes in Finnish team KalPa, with former Flyer Sami Kapanen, owning the majority of the team. I'm sure that there will be plenty of friendly banter between them during the course of the season.