Tyler J. Altemose
Every once and a while, so much goes on the day of a big game that it's just easier to write an entire article about it. Such is the case from this morning's practice. Carter, Pronger, Nodl, Coburn, the Black Aces—they're all in the news today. And with every single Flyers beat writer there, I figured it's just easier to throw it all out there and give each and every one of them credit for the fantastic job they do. Here's who was at the practice:
Tim Panaccio—CSN Philly [P]
Sam Carchidi—Philly.com [C]
Chuck Gormley—CourierPost/ChucksPuck.com [G]
Dave Isaac—Philadelphia Sports Daily [I]
Ryan Bright—Philadephia Sports Daily [B]
Apparently, it's my lucky day. Because each of these dudes' last names starts with a different letter. Makes for simple abbreviations.
Speaking of those abbreviations, check 'em out so you know who said what. I want to make sure, again, that each of these guys gets full credit for their work.
Anyhow, without further adieu, here's everything you need to know about today's practice:
- Carter and Nodl were not on the ice today, as expected. [P] [C] Expect both of these two to be scratches tonight (Carter, LBI; Nodl, UBI)
- Also missing on the ice today was D-Braydon Coburn. The team wouldn't elaborate on whether he had a maintenance day or whether it's more severe. [B]
- In fact, the team wouldn't really elaborate on any player injuries. [B]
- Chris Pronger took slap shots during practice today. [P] [C] [G] [I] [B]
- He continued taking slappers after everyone else left. [B]
- Pronger looks good enough to play tonight. Full story here. [I]
- What are the chances Pronger plays in Game 5 tonight? "99 percent." [C]
- Hold the phone! After all of the good news from practice, it turns out that Pronger is out for Game 5. [P]
Lindy Ruff's "Whining" Comments
If you don't know the back story here, I'll give it to you quick. Basically, Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff went on a tirade about how the Flyers are "whining" about the officiating so far in this series. Ironically enough, the tirade sounded a bit like whining itself.
In any case, Flyers head coach Peter Laviolette apparently found the comment funny. [B] He decided to have an assistant reprint the quote, but only after changing the word "whining" to "winning".
The good people at Crossing Broad took it a step further and actually reposted the edited quote. Here it is:
"I just feel they're doing a lot of winning. They're really doing a lot of winning. I didn't hear any winning when they had 10 powerplays in Philly and I didn't hear any winning when the powerplays in the first game were lopsided. But all of a sudden there's all this winning about we're getting away with murder. That's a bunch of crap. That's for the media, that's for the officials to read. Here, let's get the next call. That's a bunch of crap. Let's just play."
When asked for comment, F-Dan Carcillo said that he doesn't care what Ruff has to say because he doesn't read what the media has to say. [B] It's probably the man's smartest career move to date.
- There were lots of Black Aces (Phantoms callups for the playoffs) on the ice today, notably Rinaldo, Holmstrom, and Gustafsson. Unfortunately, Wellwood was not one of them. [P] [C] [I] [B]
- Holmstrom practiced on the 4th line with Carcillo and Betts. [C] [I]
- Powe, Giroux, and Van Riemsdyk practiced together today. [C] [I] [B]
- The Versteeg-Richards-Zherdev line remained in tact. [C] [I]
Full projected lineup for Game 5: [I]
Unfortunately, the defensive combos were so mixed up that there's no real way of telling what they are at this point. [I]
The Flyers and Sabres take to the ice for Game 5 action from the Wells Fargo Center at 7:30pm.